Current and former foster youth, ages 18-26, located anywhere in the United States. You may only enter the contest once.
Your entry should consist of three (3) original photos, taken by you, adhering to this theme: The Foster Care Experience.
Your submission must include the following:
- A title for your photo essay
- A short written statement about your photos (100-300 words)
- Your name, age and the state (and city or county) where you were in foster care
- Your email address and phone number
Photos must adhere to the following guidelines:
- Filters: You are free to use filters, but do so thoughtfully; in some cases the use of filters may prevent us from publishing your work.
- Size: No greater than 150 dpi or 1 MB per image may be uploaded through the submission form. (Winners may be asked to provide higher resolution files later.)
- Appropriateness: No nudity, no graphic violence, no harming of any living thing, no illegal activities.
- Media release: If your photos include other people’s faces, you must have them sign a media release (email us at email@example.com and we will provide this to you). Please note: if your subject is under the age of 18, his or her legal guardian will have to sign the media release. If their face is concealed you may not need a media release (this will be determined by judges).
Submit by 11:59 p.m.
July 16, 2018 EXTENDED TO JULY 20th!!
The winner will receive $500 and the opportunity to have their photos published in The Chronicle of Social Change as well as Fostering Families Today. The runner-up will get $250, and finalists will receive $100.
By submitting photos, you grant Fostering Media Connections permission to publish your photos as it chooses, indefinitely. All submissions will be blinded, meaning judges will not have any identifying information about the photographer. Winners will be asked to submit a short bio and headshot and to work with our editors to prepare their photos for publication. Winners will be announced August 1, 2018.
Examples of photo collections we like:
- Stephanie Sinclair: tooyoungtowed.org
- Max Whittaker: https://www.primecollective.com/in-the-shadow-of-the-sun
How to Submit
There will be a link RIGHT HERE starting June 25!!
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 213.265.7707 between the hours of 9 am and 5 pm, Pacific time, Monday through Friday.