The North American Council on Adoptable Children has partnered with the State Policy Advocacy and Reform Center (SPARC) to produce a state-by-state look at key adoption trends and data.
The sheets, accessible by clicking here and selecting a state from the interactive map, was created mostly from 2011 figures in the federal Adoption and Foster Care Analysis and Reporting System (AFCARS).
Each profile includes the following:
- The average length of time that children waited in foster care to be adopted
- Age breakdowns of children waiting to be adopted
- The racial breakdown of children waiting to be adopted, and children who have been adopted
- Outcome statistics for all children in foster care (adoption, reunification, etc.)
- Total number of youth who aged out of foster care without a legal family
- Breakdown of relationship between adopter and adoptee prior to finalization
- How the Fostering Connections to Success and Increasing Adoptions Act has impacted the state
John Kelly is the editor-in-chief of The Chronicle of Social Change